I'm on a mission this week. I really wanted to get a particular block completed (you will understand as you read) so I worked on them over the weekend. So my blocks for this week are already made. Remember, if you don't want to sew the blocks I made, just make substitutions with any block not already completed.
Heidi participated in the blog tour posted on Quiltmaker's blog in November. She had prizes for a random drawing and I won one of them which was a FQ bundle of Furry Friends she designed for Blank Quilting. I appreciated Heidi's gift so much that I wanted to make something with it instead of just adding it to my stash. So I made her block with the fabrics, adding Kona Cotton solids for the bear applique. Since I had the fabrics already pressed, I decided to keep going and I now have a nice quilt top to quilt when the next baby comes along. I even cut enough strips from the FQs to make a scrappy binding. I really like this line of flannels. They were so easy to sew with and I experienced no stretching. I donated the remaining scraps (very little as I tried to use them all) because I just don't need to start organizing flannel scraps when I'm trying to get control of the regular cottons. LOL
I just picked this block as I wanted to see how a print for the background would look when it was completed. The only thing I would change about my block would be to fussy cut the center square. I used my go cuter to cut these pieces as the die had the shapes needed for all the units. For the 8 rectangles I cut 2.5" strips (from FQ...if you use yardage, 1 strip will do) and then fan folded 4 of them. I then laid perpendicular with the 4.5" square, folds slightly overlapping the 4.5" square to cut into 2.5" x 4.5" strips. For all cuts, I added a sheet of paper (old telephone book page) before adding the mat to ensure accuracy of cuts.