Monday, December 13, 2010

Design Wall Monday

I've kind of bounced around this week.  Had a lot of non quilting related activities but utilized my time at home very well.  I finished the Christmas top for my daughter.  She will love that it has pink in it.  I used a few traditional Christmas prints as I didn't want to purchase anything (other than the starting FQ bundle I'd purchased for this purpose).  I used the scraps from the blocks, remaining FQs from the bundle and a few from stash to piece the scrappy border. I took pictures late at night and the colors are way off.  Also, it's too large to photo at home.  I'll upload another photo when I pin baste it this week at work.

How many panels do you have in your stash that you're not going to use?  I have quite a few holiday panels.  I also know that I didn't purchase over half of them.  I've been given stash a few times of sewers cleaning their studio and I just cannot let the stuff go in the trash.  So,  I pulled a few from stash to make this center for the back of the Christmas quilt.  It's now big enough for me to frame with additional Christmas prints from my stash.  It took two photos to show all the panels, but they are sewn together.  I'm certain the designers didn't plan for them to be used this way.

The fabrics for this rag quilt was already cut by another quilter who wanted it gone from her stash.  She'd gone as far as to sew blocks into 3 rows then decided not to finish it.  Of course it ended up in my stash and has been hanging out in my studio for about two years.  I got tired of moving the bag and decided to finish it this weekend.  It's only two layers of flannel and the only quilting is as the blocks are joined.  I will donate this quilt.

These blocks and units were made while working on other projects.  I need twenty blocks to make my first quilt.  I have enough strip sets sewn to make at least 30 blocks and strings ready to sew to make an additional quilt or two.  I'm still trying to get rid of cut strings, squares and other shapes in my studio.  To get more information on this project, see my Tube UNsewing post I uploaded last week.

To vie more design walls, visit Patchwork Times.

-------------------------- Type-u-later, http://www.teaquilts.com

11 comments:

  1. Maybe it wasn't what they had in mind but they do make an interesting back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have thought to use the panels that way. I've been gifted some as well, but I ended up cutting up the different parts to make squares. There was a lot of waste though. Your idea is much more frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever back! and I have some of those panels. I've cut them up into 10 1/2" squares for backing but never just used the whole thing. Love the front of the quilt too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever use of the instructions sheets. Love the backing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quilt -- and how clever you are to use those panels. I would have over-dyed them or painted them -- I can't stand to waste any kind of fabric either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, definitely a clever way to use the panels... and some quilt historian in the year 2090 will love it! You've been really productive this week. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your backing idea! What a way to use up all those panels...LOL.

    Your quilts are beautiful!

    Bari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great projects!! I have a number of panels, but don't use them very often. usually I just use the kids ones. I got the Candyland panel last week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the bright Christmas quilt, it's so fun to look at. Interesting way to use up panels, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of using the panels as backing. Great way to use the stash and keep those fabrics from going to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the idea of useing panels for backing but I don't ever even see panels let alone buy them. And no one ever gives me any. I guess I just don't hang around with the right people. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are valuable to me so let me know what you think.