Sunday, April 17, 2011

Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks: Blocks 43, 44 and 45

After posting the other two blocks for last week, I realized that I was four blocks off schedule.  So, I got busy on Saturday and made three more.  I'm now one block behind, #129 Sew Little Time.  I really wanted make this sewing machine block but need special fusible web that I don't have at home.

Block 43 Paisley Punch
#107 on page 25
Dian Harris
Associate Editor, Quiltmaker
www.quiltmaker.com
9 pieced

This block was a challenge for me even though it's one of the simpler ones.  I decided not to needle turn, as indicated in the directions.  I decided to try freezer paper technique and forgot about reversing the patterns; didn't matter in the end but my block is reversed.  I also tried for the first time to use my machine blind hem stitch.  I wasn't happy with that result either.  Maybe I should have chose another sewing machine for this technique, not my older one.

Block 44 Diamond Blade
#189 on page 66
Leslee Price
Painted Pony 'n Quilts
www.ppnq.com
Mine = 80 pieces

A great scrap buster block.  I changed the method of piecing.  First, I cut two strips to make the 4-patches instead of cutting individual squares; made them a lot faster.  Next, instead of making 12 HSTs, I made 4 HSTs and 4 flying geese units thus reducing the number of pieces.


Block 45 Carousel
#192 on page 67
Gerri Robinson
Planted Seed Designs
www.plantedseeddesigns.com
92 pieces

The ultimate scrap buster block.  Nothing need to match actually, even the pinwheels.  The center five pinwheels were leftovers from blocks I made last week, already sewn.  Just trimmed them to size.  The outer four pinwheels are from HSTs leftover when piecing fabrics for bindings on the diagonal.  This block has 24 different fabrics but could have used a lote more!  Sorry for bad photo; it was blurry and this was the best my software could do.

I wanted to share a photo of a friend's quilt top made with Asian fabrics using 100 Blocks, Vol. 2.  When I saw the quilt I tried to convince her to start a blog but she declined.  It's so pretty that I just had to show you.  She now has border on the quilt and will be quilting it soon.

As I look at Cynthia's quilt top, I can recognize a lot of the blocks I have already made.  Leave me a post letting me know how many of Cynthia's block you have made.  Will be interesting to see who has made the most.  I think I made 21 of the 25 blocks.
--------------------------
Type-u-later,

http://www.teaquilts.com

2 comments:

  1. Tea, your friend's quilt top is wonderful. She did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt top looks great! I only made 1 block, the butterfly block, but I made a whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are valuable to me so let me know what you think.