Sunday, April 10, 2011

Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks: Blocks 38, 39 and 40

I've been behind with the blocks so today I sat down and completed 3; have 1 more in the making.  I chose all traditional pieced blocks so I could get them completed without needing fusible, freezer paper, paper piecing tools, etc. I haven't touched the book with the patterns for a while and spent about an hour looking for it.  Of course it was in a non-sewing area, making me wonder "why did I put it there." 

Block 38 Sew-Easy Butterflies
#200 on page 71
by Darlene Zimmerman
Needlings, Inc.
www.feedsacklady.com
28 pieces

Such a fun block to make.  It went together rather quickly, just as the name implies.  I'd love to have a large quilt of this pattern. 

In an effort to make the blocks quickly, all of them are just scraps laying around the sewing room left over from Bloomin' Flowers quilt top I recently made.

Block 39  Star Dance
#188 on page 65
by Celine Perkins
Perkins Dry Goods
www.perkinsdrygoods.com
37 pieces

I like the addition of the HSTs in the corners to change this block.


Block 40 Chunky Monkey
#187 on page 65
by Carrie Nelson
Miss Rosie's Quilt Co.
www.missrosiesquiltco.com
73 pieces

Whew!  That's a lot of pieces in a 12" block BUT it is my favorite this week.  I would love to have a large bed size quilt of this block.  It is just beautiful.  I used the same print in the middle of the churn dash blocks instead of choosing a different fabric for each one.  From the print I chose the other colors to use for the churn dash units and the sashing.

--------------------------
Type-u-later,

http://www.teaquilts.com

2 comments:

  1. I think I have to agree with your favourite. The Chunky Monkey is great. I love her patterns. I've sort of fallen off the radar in this challenge. Grandson stuff has big time taken over my life. But it sure is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all 3 blocks look terrific. You did a great job on each one.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are valuable to me so let me know what you think.