My design wall changed almost on a daily basis this past week. My Merry Go Round quilt progressed a little further. I still need more than half of the blocks and I pieced all the precut strips in the colors I picked. So this one will be put on the back burner for a while.
Then I worked on the Modified Bento Box my scrap quilting club is making this month. We have the option of swapping quarters. I decided to participate in both groups, scraps or batiks. My blocks are made and ready for swapping!
Oh, the joy of being commissioned! I've been putting off working on a few WIPs because, well they are a pain in the butt. This first one used Marti Michell's templates and I just don't like them (sorry Marti). Some of the templates in the set B are too small to hold. Whenever possible, I use traditional rotary cutting to make the pieces. However, because this was a BOM, I don't always get that option because of the size of fabric in the kit. I stopped here because I want to finish out the sashing design in the 1st border but don't have enough fabric in the finishing kit for that. This is a few years old and the fabric is probably long gone, so I'll probably cave and put the 3 plain borders on it as planned.
You would think that the previous projects would be enough for the week, but "no, unfortunately." Okay, I need this one for an upcoming lecture too. This is Stars in My Garden by Piece 'o Cake. I started this as my 'almost" first hand applique project. I had only made one hand applique block previously. I got the first 8 or so blocks done pretty fast and then lost interest. Two years ago I pulled it back out and got the blocks done. I couldn't decide upon a setting (didn't want to use the one in the book as that would make my quilt look like other quilters'). So I decided to make this setting with geese. I must have been out of my mind. I needed 658 geese for this setting. After getting them all made and sewing them into the sashing units, they were too BIG! I adjusted a few and decided it wasn't worth my time. Well, Saturday and Sunday I spent a lot of time RIPPING and a little time sewing. Now that it's all together, I like it again. However, I did decide during this torture that I will not be hand quilting it like I thought. I'm sending this big boy to a professional long arm quilter.
I have another quilt top that needs a border for the lecture as well. I want to piece a picket fence. We'll see if I get that done. My other goal for this week is to check class lesson plan and lecture agendas.
I'll be out of town next week. I have 3 lectures and 1 class. I've been busy preparing for the trip and in the process validating to my husband that I'm completely crazy. I've been pulling out quilts for the programs and my already small house is even smaller. I'll post next week if I have Internet service but if not, you already know why. Pittsburgh, Kansas and Joplin, Missouri quilters I look forward to meeting you!
To see more design walls, go here.
Tea in MO