Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks: My Blocks 1 and 2

I have officially started my quest to make all the blocks in Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks Vol. 2!  Yesterday I made my two blocks for the week. 

I got a few interested bloggers in the deciding phase of whether to join in the sew along.  If you'd like to join me, even if you don't plan to make 2 blocks a week, let me know.  I'll make a list of the participating blogs on my side bar that links to your blocks.  I can assign blocks for you or you can decide which blocks you'll make on your own.  One way to work with me would be for participants to make the blocks the week after I make them.  That will accomplish two things:  1. You will have a list and not have to decide which block to make;  2. I will have already made the block and will post corrections (if needed) and give suggestions if I changed how I made the block.  Also, I have made a list in Excel to document my journey.  All I have to do weekly is add the date I made the block.  If you use in it Excel, it will count the blocks automatically as you type your completion dates.  For those without Excel, I can send you an Adobe pdf format; you'll have to count the blocks as you make them.  If you want a list, let me know and I'll send it to you. Please indicate if you want the Excel or pdf version.

I'm planning to use the leftover fabrics from the Tumbler quilt which is Moda's Sandy Gervais Frolic fat quarter bundle I purchased.  I'll use these fabrics until I run out then maybe make a quilt with the blocks.

May Flowers
Block 152 on page 47
Carolyn Beam, Creative Editor, Quiltmaker
http://www.quiltmaker.com/
45 pieces

My first block pays homage to the fact that I didn't make even one block in the first issue.  So I went alphabetically down both the lists printed in each magazine.  Carolyn Beam was the first contributor to be listed in both magazines so her block starts my journey.  The block was pretty straight forward to make and it was actually fun just to get started.


Kraut Cutter
Block 156 on page 49
Mickey Charleston
no website was listed for this designer
16 pieces

My second block is also a contributor in both editions.  The block just looked so interesting that I had to make it.  I did make a few changes although it may not be absolutely necessary.  I was a little afraid of what to do if the block was a little short after sewing as it's pieced on an angle.  So, I cut the squares AND the two end strings (one piece on the left and the other on the right-WIDTH ONLY) 1/4" larger than suggested.  This allowed me to square my block to size after all sewing was completed.  I think this block would look great in a quilt with alternating reverse blocks.

Come back next week as I plan to have two more blocks to post.
-------------------------- Type-u-later, http://www.teaquilts.com

7 comments:

  1. What an amazing start! And what a great way to get bloggers to participate. Good luck with everything.....I can't wait to see your next blocks! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won a magazine and am waiting for it to arrive!
    I made many of the pieced blocks from the first issue and plan to make many from the second...although I doubt I will be motivated to make them all :) I'll join you in the "block along" but will probably only sew 1 a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up my magazine today. I'm ready to start my blocks. :) This is going to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You're ambitious. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to have to join in on this one too. I just got home from picking up that magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won a magazine too, but I'd already bought one when I saw it. After the holidays I'll try and make some of the Blocks. Gotta get working on the Christmas stuff since it's almost December.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this will be a lot of fun. I have ordered the book and want to play along. I have microsoft works--not excel. I love sampler quilts, trying new blocks. I'm not committed to any fabric line for this. Lori in South Dakota

    http://dakotacityquilter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are valuable to me so let me know what you think.