Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Design Wall, Split 4-Patch, and Other Happenings

Even though I tried, life got in the way and I wasn't able to blog for a couple of weeks. First, my mom retired and I attended that celebration. The pictures I took have her hugging someone of flowers and/or gifts in her face area so I don't have a suitable photo to show. The event was nice but the occasion was a God send. I wanted her to retire years ago and am so excited that she finally put up her gourmet chef's hat. On July 3rd, I made this design wall from Sew Many Ways. I used an old flannel sheet that I'd already started cutting for my surface. I had to piece sections together to get the correct measurements. I had to go to two hardware stores to get all the PVC parts but it is well worth it. I haven't used it yet as I'm piecing larger items at the moment. The only change I made to the pattern was to hem the bottom of the sheet, not leaving raw edges. I started this Split 4-Patch quilt for my brother in November 2008, wanting to have it done by May this year. That of course didn't happen. However, while waiting, I found the perfect stripe fabric for the 1st border and binding. I cut about 40 inches of fabric on the bias to make both the border and binding, cutting 2.5" strips. It was tedious but I like the "wave" effect created by this fabric. This one fits a full-size bed but was made as extra cover, not the main bedspread.
I forgot to mention last time I wrote that I won the guild's optional blocks. I'll probably receive some more at the next meeting so I haven't done anything with them yet. Any ideas, especially for what to put in some of the empty jars? I'd love to hear from you.
Let's see, what else is going on? I am piecing my Stepping Stones Friendship Stars blocks into rows. Here is a picture I took in 2006. The sampler blocks are from a local quilt shop's BOM. The original setting was to use plain sashing with corner stones between the blocks. I decided upon this setting instead. Made the setting blocks but never pieced them together. I found the pizza box that held this treasure when I cleaned my old sewing room (now storage) this weekend. My plan for this weekend is to attend a 2-day John Deer Adorable Ideas embroidery seminar. I've attended one featuring Anita Goodesign in the past and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to this prsentation although I can't spend much money. I finally broke down and purchased the Accuquilt's Go Cutter. In addition to the cutter, I also purchased the 2.5" strip cutter and the 8.5" rag square dies. Yikes! I'm hoping to get a lot of scraps cut and to make binding for the 35+ quilt tops that need to be quilted in my UFO pile. If anyone has the cutter, let me know your thoughts.
That's all I can think of at the moment. Chat with you soon.
-------------------------- Type-u-later, Tea in MO http://www.teaquilts.com

3 comments:

  1. Your Stepping Stones Friendship Star Quilt will be very beautiful! I love the colors.
    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog through Mary's and I love your jar quilt. My little grandson would love one like that... I may have to put it on my to do list.
    Have a great day.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute jars. How about favorite buttons in one jar and you could fussy cut food items or insects for the others. A friend did this pattern and some of her jars she placed sideways to look like they had fallen over and some of the contents had fallen out, super cute.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are valuable to me so let me know what you think.