Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Works In Progress Update

Well, its been a few weeks since I've written. I've been very busy with a lot of things with family as well as quilting. My husband has been laid off from his machinist job going on three months. The stimulus package helped us to get medical insurance at a reasonable rate, so that's a plus. It's very stressful and I've been having a difficult time sleeping lately. I'm being optimistic in hoping that the stimulus package will eventually trickle down where my husband will be called back to work.
On to more fun stuff...I've been very busy with quilt meetings as well as working on my projects. I wanted you to know that my Dear Jane quilt top is basted and I am doing the hand quilting. I searched high and low but could not find a quilter or group that could have it ready by September for my guild's quilt show. I'm no where near an obsessive compulsive quilter, so the quilting will not be pretty. However, it will be done and I can say I did it myself! I'll keep you posted as I progress. I am machine quilting the Trip Around The World Quilt. I'll post a photo when it's done. I'm basically quilting this one in the ditch but using one of the decorative stitches. Also, I have the Jitter Buzz quilt with backing made.
I'm in the process of reorganizing my machine embroidery designs and I'm falling in love all over again. I just can't stop. I made a Freedom Tote Bag using designs from BFC Creations, design number 737. I had so much fun and I tried her technique for adding the joining strips. I love the accent strips, just could not get it to be perfect though. By the time it came to sewing the bag to the lining, I converted back to traditional bag making techniques. To get the accent at the top, I folded my lining over at the top. I LOVE my bag! By the way, I made the medium size.
Well, I'm on a roll so I embroidered the Window of USA. This one is also a BFC Creations number 605. This one is really neat in that it's made in what are called tiles (12 each 4" embroideries) that are sewn together to make a panel. There are a few ways to put them together. I chose to satin stitch my panels as I wanted the stitching to look like grout. I now have to figure out if I want to frame it or quilt using traditional methods.
I have a baby shower next week and decided to make Baby Bibs. This one is a dog. The design packet also has elephant, cat, giraffe, bunny, snake, and another one or two that I can't remember at the moment. If you really want to know who this design is by, let me know and I'll look it up. It's 10:00 p.m. and since I've been looking through so many designs, I can't remember who the designer is. Anyway...I decided that I'd only make this one instead of 2 more. Why? It took me 3-1/2 hours to make this "puppy" and I really don't think the mother will want to use it. I've decided to give it to the baby along with more traditional style baby bibs.
I'm sure I could find more to add that I'm blocking at the moment, but as I said earlier, I haven't been sleeping well and I'm exhausted. I hope when I look at this post tomorrow that I don't think it's horrible. Take care and enjoy your quilt making...
-------------------------- Type-u-later, Tea in MO http://www.teaquilts.com


  1. your Jane is so pretty and bright. I'm quilting mine right now too. Have fun with it.

  2. Your Dear Jane quilt is fabulous! I haven't been brave enough to try it yet!

  3. Fantastic Dear Jane. I need to get back to work on mine!


Your thoughts are valuable to me so let me know what you think.