Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks: Blocks 41 and 42

I'm ahead this week posting a couple of blocks.  I know that I have some applique blocks assigned that I have not completed yet.  Still, I haven't had time to tally how many blocks I should have at this point.  My goal is to post a few blocks and then I can get some other things done.

Block 41 Homestead Album
#184 on page 63
Sarah Maxwell and Delores Smith
Homestead Hearth
www.homesteadhearth.com
44 pieces

I must be in a churn dash mood.  I like this block and it's a great scrap buster block.  I did change the 3-piece corner units so that the print and background fabrics did not rotate around the block.  I like the secondary design that changing the positions created.  Homestead Hearth in Mexico, MO is one of my favorite quilt shops.  They are over 100 miles from my home but I still visit them 3-4 times a year.

Block 42 - Shoe Boxes
#127 on page 35
Denise Starck
Graphic Designer, Quiltmaker
www.quiltmaker.com

What fun block to make, especially around Easter.  I'm calling this one Easter Pumps.  I could have used fabrics that contrasts more but then they wouldn't have looked like spring-type shoes.  In addition, I made my heels and straps in a fabric other than the actual shoe as shown.  I just wanted to see how the shoes would look with two fabrics over using just one. I like them both ways and this would be a great pattern made in scrappy pairs, especially for a shoe lover. Be careful when paper piecing; you need to cut these wedges really big.  Ask me how I know...
--------------------------
Type-u-later,

http://www.teaquilts.com

2 comments:

Your thoughts are valuable to me so let me know what you think.