Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks: Blocks 23 and 24

Whew!  I didn't think these blocks would ever get completed.  My life is very busy right now and with the start of tax season, I don't see it getting any better for a while.  While I'm here, I want to post that the drunkards paths blocks are behind.  I should have 2 more blocks posted by the end of the week but I don't think that's going to happen with my schedule.

Block 23 - Faire la Bise
#116 on page 29
Helen Stubbings
Hugs "N Kisses
21 pieces, mine is 17 pieces

I must have been out of my mind to schedule this block during this hectic time in my life.  I had in my head to make this block with fusible web instead of hand applique.  Then why did I prep the pieces for hand applique before it dawned on me that that's not what I wanted!  I started working on the block, yes hand appliqueing it, and my stitching wasn't as perfect as I'd like on this one.  So I decided enough hand work and used my sewing and embroidery machine to finish it.  I needed to test the embroidery machine as I picked it up from the repair shop on Saturday.  I used my decorative stitched on my sewing machine for the "x" stitches on the diagonal.  Then I used my embroidery machine to stitch the corners.  The design is from Dakota Collectibles.  Not perfect, but I'm glad it's done!

Block 24 - Geese 'Round the Rosie
#168 on page 167
Gudrun Eria
GE Designs
www.gequiltdesigns.com
www.gudrun.typepad.com
33 pieces

Since I was machine embroidering, I continue with this block, adding a heart in the center of this block instead of fussy cutting a piece of fabric.  I made the single flying geese as instructed in the pattern but used Quilt in a Day rulers for the four purple ones.  I like the accuracy of this method.  I also found that when I made the singles that if I pressed the folds on the squares to make the geese, they were more accurate.  I usually draw lines with this technique.  I guess dragging the pencil across must affect accuracy a bit.

Don't forget to check my left hand side bar for a list of 100 Blocks participants.  There are now eight of us!

NOTE TO PARTICIPANTS:  In order for your blocks to show from the side bar link, you MUST have "100 blocks" somewhere in the body of the post or in the labels section.  Otherwise, all your posts will not be visible with the link.
--------------------------
Type-u-later,

 http://www.teaquilts.com

1 comment:

  1. OMG, that first block is stunning...applique, you say.....WOW! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are valuable to me so let me know what you think.